Tuesday, August 14, 2012

LEOPARD GECKOS: PROPER CARE

    Well I have had a Leopard gecko for 4 months, so I'm not an expert. I do know A LOT about them though, because I have been doing a ton of research on these amazing reptiles. So here we go!

   
        Leopard geckos do not need a complex setup! My setup is not complex at all! Here is a picture of my Leopard gecko terrarium!
Here is a list of what my setup consists of:
*10 gallon tank
*brown repti-carpet
*under the tank heat pad
*tank screen(on top)
*ceramic heat lamp
*75 watt red heat bulb
*thermometer(on warm side)
*humid hide(on warm side) (sour cream container with damp paper towel & hole cut on side)
*drift wood for climbing
*drift wood hide on cool side
*water dish (on cool side)
*calcium dish
*(optional) background for back of tank

Now I will explain the importance of some things. The humid hide basically helps the shedding process. You MUST put a calcium dish in the tank! It is SO important that they have access to that calcium! It helps with their bones, so they grow properly! You use pure calcium (without D3).

If you have never really done research on Leopard geckos, but you want one, and you were wondering why I put cool side & warm side, listen up!:) Leopard geckos need to regulate their body temperatures, because they are cold blooded. So you must have a cool side and a warm side.

On the warm side you should have the following:
*ceramic heat lamp above the tank
*thermometer
*humid hide
and *heat pad

On the cool side you should have the following:
*main hide
*water dish
*another thermometer (optional)
*calcium dish

Now let's talk temperatures! During the day on the WARM side, it should be 78 degrees-95 degrees. During the day on the COOL side, it should be room temperature(75 degrees is good). At night it can be 65 degrees-75 degrees.

Humidity is 10- 30%(water dish will supply humidity).

Their diet consists of mealworms, crickets or superworms. You can supply treats EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE! Treats can be silkworms or waxworms, etc. 

Supplement your food with a calcium D3 & herptivite( multivitamin )

If you have ANY questions, PLEASE feel free to ask me!:) You can email me or ask me on a comment! My email is coldhampets@gmail.com .
XOXO,
  Geckogal;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment